July 25, 2007

Work update

Hey everyone,
I feel like I have to apologize for not blogging enough every time I blog, but Annie seems to keep everyone up to date on most of the goings on. So sorry for not blogging and you’re welcome for marrying a blogger. It is also a challenge to blog because life really isn’t that exciting…..although Saturday we saw some 100 lb wild monkeys, which was exciting.

I have been spending 3-4 days working in El Paraíso per week and the other days either chasing other work around the area or working on the computer. I have a copy of EPAnet software and AutoCAD software and some different GIS softwares that I am trying to find the time and projects to work with so I can keep up-to-date with engineering softwares. Work in El Paraíso still consists of me following around the técnicos from project to project trying to get things built correctly. JAM currently has 7 projects that are scheduled to end in September and construction needs to be done by then (when the bank account quits giving Swiss money). I am still of minimal impact with this organization. The técnicos are very capable in my opinion (and they speak the native language). It has still been beneficial to me though as I have seen quite a few different projects, the subsequent problems, and have done a few surveys that have saved them some time. I have also had some worthwhile experiences. For example, just today I spent 5 hours hiking around the rainforest in the rain (imagine that), and I managed to fall down in the mud on 3 separate occasions. We were walking along the newly buried conduction line to check if some new air valves were installed correctly so the trail was nothing but saturated clay. My second fall was the best. We came to the top of a hill and the trail was pretty steep. There were 2 ways down, slide on your ass or try and sort of run/slide down and stay upright for the 40 yards of downhill. I tried the running method (genius) and my foot caught on a root at about the point of maximum velocity and it was a face first yard sale into the mud and water. The guy I was with thought it was hilarious how much earth I moved with my face/shoulder. I then took a shower and washed my clothes in an overflow from the water system along the way because I figured I might as well just be wet and not both wet and dirty. I promptly fell down a third time. On the way home I rode in the back of the truck.

Of interest, the project we were working on is right along the border with Nicaragua and in one of the areas where the heaviest fighting took place during the contra war in the late 80’s between the Nicaraguan Sandinistas and the American backed Contras. You can still see machine gun placements along the ridge, and the stories that the guys I am working with tell are not of a pleasant time, especially for the communities unfortunate enough to be in the area. If anyone wants to know more about what was going on at the time (politically, culturally and economically) read the biography “The Death of Ben Linder.” I can’t remember the author, but it is definitely worth reading and a book both Annie and I recommend.


Here are some pics I took on a visit to see a community building a tank last week:


3 comments:

dlcurren said...

So, this tank is for the water system in the nearby villages you mentioned several reports ago? I think this is a fascinating project. Are these/this tanks located on a hilltop to supply pressure to the town below? How will you fill them? Will the water be purified in the tank?

Luke Gingerich said...

ya, the tank is located above the highest house in the system so all houses are reached by gravity flow. The water reaches the tank by gravity from a spring about where I took the picture from. and the water will be chlorinated at the tank.

Josh Showalter said...

I bet the fall would have been funny if it wasn't you haha. Sounds as though your doing well. Keep updating pictures I like to get an idea of what everything looks like