January 11, 2007

It's my turn!

So far Luke has been in charge of the blogging (if you couldn't already tell by the lack of capitalization!), so I thought I'd take a turn.

My thoughts on what's to come...
Truth be told, I really have no idea what we're in for! As most of you know I've lived outside the country several times but never for more than 4 months and never with a job so you could say I'm definitely excited and scared. I can't tell you how much easier it is to go into this knowing that Luke's coming too! One of the most difficult things I've found about living abraod is that my closest family and friends don't share the experience with me and therefore you're left to tell them what happened without all the emotions that accompanied the stories. And while describing your life in the US to a long-distance friend is difficult, it's much easier than trying to describe, for example, what your life in a rural mountain community in Honduras is like. So...needless to say, I'm very excited to share this experience with my best friend and husband! I don't really have a lot of expectations because at this point I can't even visualize what I'll be doing on a day-to-day basis or where we'll be living. I do know that we'll probably experience some of our lowest lows and some of our highest highs while we're gone. I can easily say that we're prepared for anything but it's not true. One of my worries is that I will struggle with the fact that no matter what, I will always be an U.S. citizen and can "escape" back there whenever I need to. I think that makes walking in any Honduran's shoes nearly impossible and I can only hope it does not impede my work and making good friends while there. Anyway, that's all for now.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi, Luke and Annie. How did I find you, you might ask? Through Aunt Lora's blog. I had a couple of good friends spend three years in El Salvador with MCC - it will be great for you to write on here to connect with people and keep a journal for yourselves as you are in Honduras. Good luck! Sarah

Sarah said...

By the way, my blog is lifeofadomesticgoddess.blogspot.com in case you ever what a stay at home mom is up to....