March 25, 2007

First week of Field-Based Training

We had some interesting Tech sessions last week. One of those was going over a program called ¨In Charge of my Life¨ that volunteers can do with young people in their communities. It is basic education about HIV/AIDS, STIs, and safe sex with another component focused on leadership. Peace Corps has been using the program (developed by a married couple) for the last few years with lots of success.

On Wednesday afternoon, we had 3 commerical sex workers (the more politically correct name for prostitutes) come and talk to use about their work. A PCV (leaving soon), along with a Honduran woman with a degree in social work or something smiliar, worked with CSWs, educating them on keeping themselves healthy and HIV-free. He said it´s ridiculous to try and get them to change professions because they won´t make the same amount of money (or even close) doing anything else. They started a program where they train CSWs in HIV/AIDS, condom use, etc. and then the CSWs, as facilitators, go and teach what they learned among their circle of friends (other CSWs). We learned some interesting thing about CSWs in Honduras. The first of those things being that they are three types. Ones who work in nightclubs, ones who work in brothels and ones who work strictly with American men. For those of you who didn´t know, there is a US military base here in Honduras and they keep the ¨gringeras¨ well employed. ( Gringeras is the nickname for the CSWs that work with ¨gringos¨or Americans). They told us that American guys are the worst when it comes to agreeing to wear condoms. There is also a population of government contractors from a big firm (to reamin nameless but I´m sure you can figure it out) here in Honduras and according to the CSWs we spoke to, they are also really good clients. It was all very disturbing.

We spent all day Thursday doing a Men´s Health Workshop (material that was again recently developed by Peace Corps volunteers). Men´s Health is geared toward educating men on HIV/AIDS, STIs, and safe-sex practices. The volunteers who do a lot of work with Men´s Health frequently give ¨charlas¨ (informal presentations) in cantinas (bars), in the park, in prisions, on military bases, and with police and firemen. After Thursday´s training, they split us trainees up into 4 groups of 5 and we had to prepare a charla to give the following day (Friday morning) to Honduran men training to be policemen at an academy in La Paz. We arrived on Friday morning to the academy and the 4 groups split up and each had an audience of 25 young men between the ages of 18 and 23. Our charla included lots of dinamicas (like ice-breakers or games) and participation. A lot of them have never seen a condom and have never received any formal education on HIV/AIDS (proven evident by the fact that a lot of them belived mosquitos can give you HIV). I got some good pics so I´ll try and post a few of those soon. We even included an activity with bananas and condoms where they each got to practice putting one on. It was a great experience for us trainees and great practice in charla-giving.

Luke came to La Paz on Saturday around noon and we had a good time here. It definitely wasn´t enough time to spend together (only 24 hours) but luckily Field-Based Training is only for another month. It took him about 3 1/2 hours to get from La Paz back to his site.

2 comments:

joshshow said...

Annie, wow that sounds very interesting! It must have been kind of an awkward situation talking with the CSWs’. I can’t even imagine trying to teach them, it kind of sounds like our parent education class. That’s the class that you get the baby, and learn about that stuff. Anyways I got my grades back from the semester. A in Physics, B+ in AP Calculus, A in AP English, and I had early release to work on my homework in the library. I was pretty happy with the grades. Though I wish I would have done a little better on my calc final so I could have got an A-. I’m getting really excited about going off to college! Easter weekend I’m going up and spending thurs night, and Friday night with Mat at isu, and then he is riding back with me to Washington for Easter. I’ve got tons of free time now and I spend most of my time reading, and playing with Moose. Yesterday after school it was about 75 degrees and sunny outside so I took him for a bike ride. I put his shock collar on and we road about out to our church on that gravel road. He had fun and minded me really well! Well I better get back to class so, keep us posted and enjoying what you’re doing…. Love you both Josh

Dory said...

I was shocked to hear about the American military men not wanting to wear condoms, mainly just because they're the ones who have no excuse- they've known about condoms for their teenage/adult life. Shameful.
I'm sure you're a pro in front of those young men after all your experience at the IEP!
Dory