April 8, 2007

Estamos en Teguc....happy Easter

Hello everyone. again apologies on the scarcity of blogs.... hope everyone enjoyed Holy Week. Annie and I have been in Teguc for the last 4 days. For those of you who havent' talked with our immediate families recently Annie was bitten by a dog on Tuesday and we have been staying in Teguc so she could get the required shots on Wednesday and saturday to prevent her from contracting Rabies. The bite was not bad at all, but it drew blood and therefore the options are monitor the dog for ten days or come to Teguc and get teh shots. Monitoring the dog didn't work because it was way up in the hills where she was bitten and the starving little thing was probably going to die within 10 days even if it didn't have rabies. So i came to Teguc on wednesday night to stay with her until Sunday when we can get rides back to our respective sites. It sounded like a fun trip except it is Semana Santa (Holy Week) here and nothing is open......really the only things open in the entire city are the american chain restaraunts like wendy's and pizza hut which aren't good in teh states and are no better in developing countries. Plus they put us up in a hotel with no windows. it was clean which was nice, but our room literally had no windows to the outside, it was a 10ft x 10ft concrete room with one flourescent light in the center of the room. luckily i liked my cellmate......... we did have an ok time though hanging out and we took a taxi downtown and saw the alfombras (on Good Friday people dowtown make giant murals out of colored sawdust in the streets, it is really pretty neat) and we went to one of the really expensive hotels yesterday to use their pool. I also got through an entire book i had wanted to read.

right now it is almost noon (mountain time, the whole country was supposed to turn the clocks ahead last week, but it got called off by the president at the last hour becasue they were worried the confusion would be too much.....certainly couldn't have been more confusing than calling off the time change 5 minutes before it takes place.... ) and we are in the Cuerpo de Paz office waiting for our rides back to training sites so we have some time to blog and check emails and such.

We swear in as volunteers in less than a month so that is something to look forward to and we get our site announcements in 3 weeks so we will know where exactly we are spending the next 2 years.

hasta luego,
luke

2 comments:

saleh said...

Happy Easter,and I am sorry Annie for what happen with you and I hope you feel better now, It seems every thinks are going well with you in Honduras.Now,I am in Washington D.C for a 2 or 3 days and I have a lot of changs in my studying plane here at U.S, so I gonna email you when I back to Colorado which is so cold now.

Take care,friends,
Saleh Alsagoor.

joshshow said...

Hey luke, It sounds as though you’ve been busy and I’m glad you got to spent a little time with your cellmate… even under the circumstances. That 10 by 10 no windowed room would make me go crazy!!! I’m glad you found a good place to swim and hang out though. Over Easter break Justin Harland (my roommate) and me went up to ISU to hang out with matt. Thursday night he had an intramural broomball game (which was amazing) that we went to, then we just hung out. Friday we went to classes and then Friday night we spent the night. Needless to say we had tons of fun, and I’m really impressed with everything. I hope you are having an increasable experience and like always my prayers are with you .. GO CLONES Josh Showalter